Thursday, July 24, 2014

Two Days of Assembly & Some Grease

   I finally got it back together yesterday and today. I wish I would have taken more time to get process pictures but I was taking too long as it was. I will mention a couple things. First I would like to thank Tom Parsons (has instructions on ChevyTalk) for taking time out of his day to answer a upper/inner shaft question. We need all of the Toms we can get in the hobby!

    I did do my dust shields a bit different and will mention that here. You can use which ever method works best for you. To mount the lower A-arm with both dust shields in place is near impossible. I found that rather than leave one off and pushing it through the bushing hole after, you can roll one flat against the cross member. This is hard to explain but you roll it back against the cross member. As if you were turning it inside out It turns into a larger but thinner flat washer. There is a slight lip there that will hold it in place. By doing this it gives you enough room to slide the A arm against it to get the other side slipped on to the shaft.

    The outer/lower  shields are also a very tight fit. The spindle support bushing has a nut side and a protruding smooth side. This smooth side is just the right size to roll  the washer over and flatten it against the spindle support. Once you have that secure lay the other side in and squeeze the spindle support in place. Once you have the pivot bolt through you can "unroll" the shield. Even doing it this way you still have to compress the one on the "nut" side of the bushing before screwing in the pivot bolt or it will be off center. Your own your own there. I finally got it close by using a pickle fork to push down on the spindle support to compress the shield (rubber washer).

    Granted, this is not as easy as it sounds. Rolling these sturdy rubber washers can be tricky in itself. I tried to push the washer through the hole in the A-arms but tore one so had to come up with another method. This way nothing gets damaged.

    I had to make a trip to the big tool store for a big socket for one of the bushings so I went ahead and picked up a LINK>> very long handled ratchet. <<LINK  It is 24 1/4 inches. I can tell you it was well worth the high price tag once I got into putting the upper inner shafts in! I'm back and forth on the flexible head but it did not present any problems during this build. Oh and like Craftsman these are lifetime warranty!



    Once I got it all together I shot grease at all of the fittings. After Its drivable I will go around the block a couple times and give it some more. Then it will be time for alignment! I am hoping to find a shop for that. If not I will attempt it if I can.

    Here is the eye candy ....










     And the fun part cleaning up the garage!



    I put in an order for the drag link rebuild kit, stabilizer bushings, and shocks today ... as well as a few other goodies. I wont give those away here. I will need blog material later ;)

    While I wait for that stuff I will work on cleaning up the wheel wells, frame and backing plates.


No comments:

Post a Comment