Friday, July 25, 2014

Just Tedious Cleaning

    Nothing too exciting. Mostly wire wheeled a bunch of stuff to prepare the wheel wells for paint. I did paint the drum springs and put those back on. If you have ever tried to put these on you know it is a PITA.!  The problem is the spring is very tight. if you start one section and start pulling on another the first section pops off. I actually got one drum done by tying a string to a screw in my table, then tying the other end to the spring to hold it down while I worked the rest of the spring on. Even this was a challenge! Well after trying several methods I finally had the light bulb go off. If you turn them face down and put the spring over the drum lip then work it on with a big screw driver (like installing a tire on a rim) it goes right on! DOH! At any rate my attempts will cause me to have to touch up the paint.

    Not too bad. A little fun with color.





    I started on the frame rails with the wire wheel on my grinder.







    Then I took the brake assembly off of the backing plate and wire wheeled that as well as clean up the parts. I put the wheel cylinder caps (?) in the vinegar to remove some of the rust that had accumulated inside the caps. Nothing bad but hard to get at.





    Then I went back to the frame rail with my Dremel and hit the tight spots the wire wheel was to big to reach. After that I washed everything with soapy water. I have not done anything with the sheet metal in the wheel wells yet. My plan is to degrease and put on a coat of under coating. (that's what's there now).






    The poor car is getting dusty and itching to be back on all four tires!








No comments:

Post a Comment