Saturday, July 26, 2014

Lay'n Frame ..... Paint.

    As much as I would like to put bags on and lay frame, I'm just laying paint on my frame ... sigh But I'm excited none the less! I actually thought I would have the suspension bolted back under the car by this evening but I remembered I can't put it back on until I have the idler arm installed. The big top bolt on the idler arm won't go in or out of the hole once the cross member is bolted up because of the motor mount.

    I painted and put the driver's side brakes back on the backing plate. I left the inside Rust reformer (flat black) and the outside got the glossy .....






Some new rubber plugs!

 and moved over to the passenger side. I took those apart and wire wheeled and painted the backing plate.



Then I started cleaning up the brake parts for the passenger side. The adjustment caps came out real nice once they soaked in the vinegar for a while. I just had to wipe them out and wash them.....




Brakes are just laying on the backing plate in this photo.


    Once that was done I masked off and painted the frame and radiator support. I shot rust reformer on first and then the glossy. I left the wheel well the flat black.



I seem some rust holes that will need attention down the road!


    When I was shooting the last of it, the mailman pops in with a package! That was fast .. I got my shocks in and the drag link rebuild kit.
    I also got the sway bar bushings but they appear to be too small. I am going to have to look into this.
EDIT: After slitting he bushing to slide over the sway bar it takes up the space pretty good. and there is is a hump where the mount goes to take up the remaining slack. I think it's gonna be fine.




    I immediately took the shocks out , scuffed the pretty black paint and shot them a new color! These shocks and the drum springs should be all that sees the blue. I just wanted a hint here and there. In reality the shock will be the only thing anyone will see since the hub is covered by the tire.






While the shocks dried, I rebuilt the drag link. Nothing to this really, took about 5 mins, if that.  You just unscrew the ends and dump the old parts out then put the new ones in and cap off the ends with the new caps. The first photos are the old cups. You can see the pitting ....




    Here is the new stuff ...

The new cups do not have the grease channel in them like the originals, I guess they are not really needed.


    And installed ...

I would have been nice if the kit included the square rubber grease boot, new grease fittings and cotter pins.

    Tomorrow I will put the brakes back together and install the shocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment