Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Last of the Additional Weight

    Now that all of the parts have been separated from the cross member it allowed me to get to the places I could not before to remove the layers of crud. I would say there was at least a total of 15 pounds of dirt before I started.



    The worst part was getting in the little cracks and crevices on the cross member! I used a variety of tools to poke, prod and dig the dirt from these spaces.






    Once the heavy stuff was gone I took my pressure washer and went over everything again.






    I still have to remove the spindles from the spindle supports and the upper inner threaded bushings. I took the nut off of the stud on the spindle but I have to read up on how to take the stud out. I assume it comes out? I will play with them tomorrow.



    Washed the drums as well. I will try to have them ready to paint along with the rest of the parts. I have never seen these springs wrapped around drums before. If anyone knows what they are for please post in the comments below. EDIT: I have read that the springs were added to balance the drum to keep the brakes from squealing. And that they also help dissipate heat to reduce brake fade. I don't know how accurate this info is but sounds about right.




    I see that The Filling Station has a pending charge in my bank statement, but for less than the amount ordered. It looks like they are not charging me the cost of the idler arm rebuild and core charge. I never received a confirmation letter from them for my order and my email to them has gone unanswered so far. I am hoping they are just waiting for me to send in the core before they bill me. I will probably call them tomorrow to see whats going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment