Friday, February 20, 2015

Radiator Woes & Some Elbow Grease

    I really have not done much to the car since my last post. It has been abnormally cold here in the South. I did order new bungs for the radiator and I called the radiator guy near my house to see if he could fix it.
    The parts came in but they look to be too big. Well actually they are too big. I ordered half inch thread size and these measure 3/4 inside diameter. So, either I am doing something wrong or they sent the wrong part. The part numbers for Be Cool as well as Summit say half inch. I wrote Summit and email inquiring. We will see.
    Also the radiator shop said they could not fix it. Hmmm I am not sure if he just can't weld aluminum or if it can't be fixed?? I guess I should have asked but I am pretty sure it can be fixed. It will be a matter of finding someone who can. Heck I would attempt it if I had the aluminum spool and gas for my welder.

For now the compromise or fix will be an external cooler. I found one I like and I think it will work just fine. It should be here next week, weather permitting. I went with a Radiator Express 15 inch Dual Pass....

 
    In the meantime I have been working on the valve covers. They are pretty dingy so I removed them and started the process. First I sand with 150 grit, then 400, 600, and 1500. Then I hit it with 00 steel wool. Once it looks semi smooth I use Mothers aluminum polish applied with my Dremel. They wont be like new or scratch free but will look a ton better than they did. One day I will break down and get something that will mechanically polish and rework them.

    Here are some before shots  ....




This was taken after I washed it up .....


 This is after sanding with polish applied and still on the cover. I ran out of time so I will knock that off tomorrow and see how it looks.


No comments:

Post a Comment