Saturday, January 31, 2015

Brake Lines, Drums, & Paint... Oh My!

    Yesterday I went to my local NAPA and picked up some break lines. I wanted a 40 inch and a 20 inch but they did not have a twenty, 18, 0r 16. What they had was a twelve. GRRRR So I got the 12, 60, 40, and a 30. I figured with the 4 sizes I could make something work. Nope, All of the combinations still didn't match up the way I liked. Well after running the 40 on the driver side and over the pumpkin I measured out and determined the best fit on the passenger side would be an 18, possibly a 16.
    So, today I went to my local Advanced and they did not have a 18 or 16 either. The closest they could do was a 20. .. ok I got it and tried it out.



    I do not like the humps I had to make to get it to fit so I will head out tomorrow and look for the 18. If I can not find one I will just order it online and wait. Here is what I have so far...







    The exhaust is in the way af just about everything... I am seriously thinking about moving them back and having them shoot out in front of the rear tires like in the photos below... not necessarily this pipe style...
.



    Oh, here is a comparison of the ones that where on the car and the new ones. The new one in this photo is the longest line I decided not to use. I would have needed something like a 6 inch mating up to it.




    I think you can see why I wanted to replace them.  SMH  Whoever did this obviously bent them by hand. You can get a bending tool for a few dollars at most parts stores.. geeze ...





    In between bending and fitting brake line I was also painting the Drums. First I painted them with Rust Reformer by Rustoleum. Then they got a good coat of glossy black.





    Someone at least replaced the brakes and wheel cylinders. I was going to remove all of this and remove the rust from the rusty bits and paint it all but decided to wait and do that as it's own project down the road..



     I still need to come up with a couple brackets to hold the lines in place but that will not be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment