Sunday, January 25, 2015

Adjust, Glue & Tear Down

    I jacked the car back up today and adjusted the rear from side to side. I would say it's pretty close. Now to see if it stays that way once I put it back. Once I had that, I took the tires off and  prepped the spring perches for tack welds.

Ready to super glue!

My makeshift spark deflector! That gas tank makes me nervous!



    I just hit them on all four corners and called it good. Now to find someone to professionally weld them on because you can see in these pictures I nee a lot more practice!






    Then I unbolted the the drive shaft, U-bolts and then the rear hangers. Dropped down the springs and eased the rear out with the floor jack and put it up on stands out of the way.




The list....

     1.  I will cut off the original spring pads and grind the area smooth.
     2.  Locate the mounting position for the new pads. 5-7/16" from brake backing plate
     3. Mount the springs onto the axle in approximate location
     4. Grind off original driver side spring hangers
     5. Put it all back under the car and mark the new hanger locations
     6. Mark and drill new holes for the hangers and install.
     7. Check and adjust for proper pinion angle
     7.2 Adjust the rear for center (side to side)      
     8. Once in position, spot weld the spring pads.      
     9. Remove rear and springs for permanent welds
     9.2 Find a welder
    10. Clean and paint
    11. Mount rear to car.

    I will also need to decide how I want to mount the shocks. The kit should have came with a mounting kit .... The original shock position is too far forward to hit the mounting holes on the spring bottom brackets. I may use the old mounts and see how they do. If they do not work I will probably just make an upper mount and switch out the shocks to ones that have eyes on each end. The originals only have a stud on top that goes up through the car floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment