Thursday, January 22, 2015

Day 5: Mockup Madness

     1.  I will cut off the original spring pads and grind the area smooth.
     2.  Locate the mounting position for the new pads. 5-7/16" from brake backing plate
     3. Mount the springs onto the axle in approximate location
     4. Grind off original driver side spring hangers
     5. Put it all back under the car and mark the new hanger locations
     6. Mark and drill new holes for the hangers and install.
     7. Check and adjust for proper pinion angle
     8. Once in position, spot weld the spring pads.
     9. Remove rear and springs for permanent welds
    10. Clean and paint
    11. Mount rear to car.

     Started the day removing the one new hanger I had mounted on Day 1. Then I mounted the springs to the axle and rolled it all back under the car.



    After some hanger position swaps, some loosening of the springs, shoving, pulling, banging etc I finally got the hangers in position and the drive shaft connected.  This took a lot longer than I expected. It would have went a lot faster with another person.






    Tomorrow I will start out removing the springs from the hangers and pull the rear out again leaving the hangers clamped in position. I will then drill out the mounting holes and bolt them in place. Then the rear goes back under to fine tune the location of the spring perches/pads. The tricky part will be setting the pinion angle while the rear is off the ground without a load. I will probably just firm everything up but leave it just loose enough where I can reposition the rear if needed  while the car is sitting back on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment