Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Day 4: Back To The Grind

    I got a late start but I managed to get the drivers side hangers knocked off. I also got the emergency brake brackets off. I did not have a good flap disc so I used a DeWalt grind wheel and it worked very well.

    First I ground down the rivet heads flush with the hanger.





 
    Then I mark and drill a relief hole.






    Once I drilled all of the holes I just knock them off with a hammer.




    Since I may not be using the original hokes I just ground everything flush and left it like that. I did not get a picture of that. Maybe I will add them in tomorrow. I will clean up and paint the orignal brackets to preserve them. Most likely they will end up on eBay.

    Tomorrow I will start mocking up the rear. I am crossing my fingers the hanger move wont run into any issues.

A refresher.....

     1.  I will cut off the original spring pads and grind the area smooth.
     2.  Locate the mounting position for the new pads. 5-7/16" from brake backing plate
     3. Mount the springs onto the axle in approximate location
     4. Grind off original driver side spring hangers
     5. Put it all back under the car and mark the new hanger locations
     6. Mark and drill new holes for the hangers and install.
     7. Check and adjust for proper pinion angle
     8. Once in position, spot weld the spring pads.
     9. Remove rear and springs for permanent welds
    10. Clean and paint
    11. Mount rear to car.


No comments:

Post a Comment