Monday, January 26, 2015

Spring Perches Welded On

    I called a local "mobile welder" I found online and he came out around noon and welded up the spring perches. Once he left I wanted to take the axle outside and start wire brushing it but it was too cold for me. I messed around a bit scrapping off some of the grime. maybe I will brave the cold tomorrow. The sad thing is, guys in the north would love to be out in Georgia weather right now!








The list...

     1.  I will cut off the original spring pads and grind the area smooth.
     2.  Locate the mounting position for the new pads. 5-7/16" from brake backing plate
     3. Mount the springs onto the axle in approximate location
     4. Grind off original driver side spring hangers
     5. Put it all back under the car and mark the new hanger locations
     6. Mark and drill new holes for the hangers and install.
     7. Check and adjust for proper pinion angle
     7.2 Adjust the rear for center (side to side)   
     8. Once in position, spot weld the spring pads.      
     9. Remove rear and springs for permanent welds
     9.2 Find a welder - weld perches up EDIT: By this I mean a person qualified to do it not find a machine.
    10. Clean and paint
    11. Mount rear to car.

In addition to this  ...

Replace mangled rear brake lines
Tidy up the fuel pump wiring
Paint and or undercoat areas that will be hard to get at with the rear in
Possibly paint the drive shaft since it's disconnected

No comments:

Post a Comment