Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Rear: Paint & Rust

    I got the rear painted and bolted back under the car. I painted and used the old shock hangers and they seem to be ok. I will have to watch them close for a while to make sure. I wont know if I have any clearance issues with the exhaust until the car is back on tires.




I also disconnected the mangled brake lines so that I can get new ones ran a bit neater.



Once I got that taken care of I started cleaning up the hubs. I noticed I have two different ones! Maybe one is an after market or at the least a replacement from a different car/truck than the other side.






The list...

     1.  I will cut off the original spring pads and grind the area smooth.
     2.  Locate the mounting position for the new pads. 5-7/16" from brake backing plate
     3. Mount the springs onto the axle in approximate location
     4. Grind off original driver side spring hangers
     5. Put it all back under the car and mark the new hanger locations
     6. Mark and drill new holes for the hangers and install.
     7. Check and adjust for proper pinion angle
     7.2 Adjust the rear for center (side to side)  
     8. Once in position, spot weld the spring pads.      
     9. Remove rear and springs for permanent welds
     9.2 Find a welder - weld perches up EDIT: By this I mean a person qualified to do it not find a machine.
    10. Clean and paint
    11. Mount rear to car.

No comments:

Post a Comment