Saturday, April 11, 2015

A Couple More Days Of Windows

   Friday I started taking the passenger side door apart while I was waiting on my windshield seal to show up. It was fairly uneventful until I go to the door handle! This handle is shaped a little different on the underside where the retaining clip resides. My tool would not catch the ends to pop it off. I finally got it to come loose, but what a bear!






    This side was missing some screws and the bottom adjustment for the divider was not screwed into the bar.










Then the seal came so I stopped and focused on that.

    I have to say I was pretty disappointed in the quality of the seal. If I had not handles the two from Ecklers that were for a coupe I would not have had anything to compare it to. I got this one from Chevy's of the 40's. It came loose in the box with no manufacturer packaging. It had a solid center section. By this I mean none of the holes where drilled for the center bar! Also the rubber just felt flimsy. Kind of soft. It did not seem to fit the glass tight and I tore a section. putting it over the pinch weld. pulling my rope out. It seemed way too easy for the pressure I was applying.  I was very disappointed but I got the windshield back on. We will see how it holds up.



    I finished up today (Saturday) by installing the center bar. It was not easy drilling the rubber to line up with the outside and inside holes. Also I was missing a retaining nut so I will have to see if I can order one.

   Then I sealed it all up with the 3M and installed the trim and wiper parts and seals. I cleaned up the excess sealer with WD-40 and then cleaned the glass with Windex.




Then I cut and installed all of the whiskers and new channel.



I attempted to install the new glove compartment light before installing the box itself. I ordered one for my car but it can labeled newer Chevy's. It would not fit in the hole. I filed down the housing and got it in then the housing separated from the flat disk that holds it to the dash. I threw it away and installed the glove box. SMH ... even if it would have fit it was a total piece of crap. BTW, I got that from Eckler's. Total waste of time and money.

I went back to taking the passenger side door apart. Got it apart and disassembled the divider bar. Then I wire wheeled all of the parts as well as the bottom window channel and painted them with Rust Reformer.





I also painted the inner trim with he blue paint and put the divider bar back together. back together










    Tomorrow I will put it all back in. I will also put the driver side vent and divider back since Eckler's has not responded to my email about the back ordered seals. SMH They did not refund my money for the wrong windshield seals yet either. Yeah, take your time, it's just MY money.

No comments:

Post a Comment