Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Shock Mount Repair

   EDIT: July 16 2014 - The other side was missing the end all together so I just ordered 2 new ones when I ordered the suspension rebuild kit from The Filling Station.

 When I drove the car home from the transmission shop I noticed a clunking. I found that the lower shock mount on the passenger side was broke. So I tool it off and welded it back together ( the tab that broke was retained under the bolt that holds it to the front suspension).







    I also cleaned up the nuts and washers and soaked them in vinegar over night (dissolves rust) to finish them off. I shot them with black satin paint this morning and set them aside to dry.



While they were drying I cleaned (scraped and wire brushed) some more on the  suspension parts. I removed another pound of crud!





    Finished up all I had time for and installed the shock mount back on the car.





    Looks like a lot of pressure is exerted to the end of the mount as the car dips for a bump or pothole. It also looks like my weld may have gave way on the left. I will look at it tomorrow and see. I rushed a bit so I may have to pay for that by welding it over LOL


    That brings this blog up to date with the work that has been done so far. If I left anything out I will update accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment