Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Fuel Gage a Go!

While I was under the car fixing the tank leak I checked the tank for a sending unit. The top of the tank had the studs as if one was installed but no wires coming off of the terminals. Someone had put a eye connector on a ground with out the wire. Well this was a start. The first thing I did was to reduce 12 volts to 6 volts to the original fuel gage. I had built a voltage reducer for the 35 Ford that I ended up not needing so I bolted this under the dash near the gage cluster. You can use a resister for this but I used what I had. Also this is heavy duty and can run multiple applications.









    Once I hooked up the power to the gage and turned on the switch the gage moved all the way to full. A good sign but we are not there yet. I still had to run a wire from the tank sender tot the gage as well as a ground from the tank to a ground.

    Prior to this project I was messing around in the trunk and found a wire marked fuel sending! How awesome, the wire was already run. I only had to feed it from the trunk to the tank. There was already a wire running to the fuel pump that was mounted at the tank so I took that route.

    The connectors for the unit on top of the tank was right at the top edge of the tank with about 2 inches to work with between the tank and the trunk floor. I was able to make the connections without dropping the tank. The sending terminal was easy as it was just a nut and a wrench was easily maneuvered in the small space. The ground was a bit more tedious. It required a phillips head screw driver and no way did I have one that short! I ended up using one for a cordless drill and a 1/4 inch wrench to turn it. It took a bit of patience but I finally got the old connector off and a new one with wire on. I terminated the other end with the fuel pump ground.



    All that was left was to connect the dash end of the sending wire to the gage and test it out!





No comments:

Post a Comment