Monday, June 23, 2014

First things first.

One of the first things I had to address was the windows. I was told the windows operated as they should. I quickly discovered this was not the case. The passenger side door glass would only go half way down and the back window on the same side would not budge at all!. It was rusted shut.

    After taking the door panel off I learned that the door glass would not go down because it was hitting the screws holding the arm rest on. The ones used where too long. easy fix! I replaced the long ones with some shorter ones and the window will now go all the way down.

The back glass was a different story all together. Rust had this one locked down tight. I removed the panel and the crank mechanism and soaked everything with WD-40. After everything sat for a while and several more coats everything finally broke loose. I worked it up and down a few times and got it to work smoothly. I then prayed white lithium grease on everything and put it all back together.

The crank mechanism may have to be replaced in the future as the teeth on the shaft to hold the handle are partially stripped. It may work for a while but will eventually fail. Also the last time I rolled the window down. I think the bottom channel came off the glass. Rolling it back up with firm pressure at the end reseated  the glass. Easy fix but I will have to be careful until I address the issue.

When I received the car the back seat was not in place. Having to remove the seat to get at and remove the back panel for the window.  This gave me the opportunity to see how and correct the way the seat was in. It is now secure and as it should be. Minor issue but had to be corrected none the less.

Next up ....

The gas tank!

Sorry no pictures of the glass issues...   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment