Monday, June 23, 2014

A little gas and a lot of smell!

I had 5 gallons of gas at the house so I decided to put it in the car to make sure I could go around the block a few time without running out. The gas gauge did not work to show how much was available.

The next day the house and garage smelled strongly of gas. It turns out the tank was leaking at the outlet. I suppose by my putting some in I brought it above that and exposed the issue.

I could not just let it leak so I had to get on this problem ASAP. I got a 5 gallon bucket and jacked up one side and loosened the outlet hose to drain the gas down.

Once it stopped leaking I removed the faulty part.

It turned out that the outlet had a rubber washer of sorts and when originally installed the rubber was pinched and disfigured allowing gas to leak out. Although damaged, once installed correctly it does not leak at this time.

Let me back up a little bit ... the tank is an aftermarket poly (plastic) tanks and looks to have been installed recently. I would like to replace the rubber grommet at some point but before I can I have to determine who makes it. Not as easy as it sounds!



Here is the part and the damage is circled in yellow.....




I added more gas and so far it has not leaked!

Hmmm... I wonder if there is a sending unit in the tank!

No comments:

Post a Comment