Monday, August 25, 2014

Some Wiring and a Mystery Noise

    I played around with the car a while today. Spent most of the time wiring up the AMP gage. I am not sure I did it right but it is definitely doing something now. I ran (looking at the back of the gage) the ignition wire to the left side of the gage and the right side over to the battery terminal on the headlight switch. When I start the car the needle goes negative a bit. When I turn on the headlights it goes up to about the middle. I have no idea if this is how it should be acting. The more amps the car draws the further into the positive it will go? I will leave it like this for now and see how it acts.

    I also removed the cigarette lighter to clean it up. I noticed a broken hot tab inside so I will probably just get a replacement. I hope to retain the original knob/lighter. I did wire it up and try to get it hot but no go .. only got a spark now and then due to the old wire.

    I also shot some video to capture the trans noise I am hearing. I am still trying to figure out what is causing the clacking sound at low speeds.


 00:00 to 00:26 Is stationary moving through the gears.
00:26 to 00:46 is reverse (no noise)
00:47 to 00:57 Is the first time you hear it but not very well
1:28 to 1:42 Is stopping and taking off at a stop sign
2:43 I drop it into first and you can really hear it.


I took the car to a transmission shop and they found nothing wrong with the trans and had no answer for the noise.  The shop has been around since the mid 70's and it's just a trans shop.


If you can offer info on the AMP gage or the noise, please comment. Or, head over to my thread on the HAMB and post there .... LINK LINK LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment