Saturday, August 2, 2014

More Lights and a Flasher!

    I finished cleaning up the front running lights and installed them back in the grill.






Then I decided to work on the turn signals. I know I said I wasn't going to while the car was on stands but I was careful and took my time.
    It turned out to be fairly simple but not without issues. My first attempt gave me turn signals and flashers in the front but only flashers in the rear. It didn't matter whether I was flipping the turn signals or the flasher I got flashers (both lights) LOL
    So I took up the trunk carpet and unwrapped all of the wiring and found that the wire coming from the brake switch was tapped into both turn signal wires. I cut that out and while I was at it, I had a color issue that was only hurting my brain, so I fixed that. On the driver side the pigtails coming off of the socket had a brown for turn signal and a turn signal(blue) for tail lights. So I cut the blue wire and pulled it out of the socket. I soldered the contact to a new yellow wire to match the wire coming from the front for that sides turn signal. Then I cut the brown wire and pulled it out of the socket and put it back in the other hole. Then the yellow went in its proper space. not only does this look better, it also makes trouble shooting easier in the future.
    All that was left was to run a wire from the brake switch to the wire on the turn signal switch. Everything works great except .... The indicator lights on the switch stay on all the time. I am not sure why. So for now I ungrounded the switch so they would not come on at all. The main thing is the car now has turn signals!


Still waiting on that idler arm dag nabbit!



No comments:

Post a Comment