Friday, August 8, 2014

Road Trip, Upside Down. & a Part.

    I decided to adjust the steering box before taking it down the road. The wheel still had some back and forth play. I discovered the locking nut was loose on the worm bearing adjuster(large nut on the front of the box)! I went ahead and adjusted out the end play and tightened it down and it seems to be pretty good! I took a test drive and it did great. The wheel (steering) was a little tight so I adjusted it a bit more today.

    Here is the trip through the neighborhood ...



    If you look close in the video, the steering wheel is upside down. I turned it around yesterday evening. Today I took it out on the road and noticed it still needs some positioning but it's close. I should get it worked out in a day or two. I also do not have confidence it is back on the way it came off .. I had a large spring that I did not note the location of when I took it apart. I also noticed the plastic horn parts under the center cap are breaking apart. You can also see the horn ring has been broken off as well. There are no horns on the car at all. I still have plenty to keep the blog active for a while!




    So I took the car to do some shopping today and learned that if you have a lot of weight in the trunk the wide tires on the rear will rub when hitting bumps and holes. I don't know yet how little of a load will be an issue. Today I had 2 cases of water, and 4 - 6 packs of soda as well as all of my other shopping. It was a pretty big load. The car would probably look just as good with some thinner wide whites on the rear and front rather than these wider black walls so I can think about that when it comes time for new tires.
    One of my concerns is getting caught in traffic and having the car overheat. This was not an issue today., The car stayed cool the entire trip. What a relief.

    I also got in the steering box cover yesterday so I cleaned and painted that. Then I installed it. Two of the mounting holes did not line up and the hole around the steering box appeared to be a bit large. maybe this one is from a year that is slightly different. Either way I mounted it and it looks OK.





   

No comments:

Post a Comment