Friday, March 20, 2015

Holley Rebuild

When I purchased the new carb for the car, I also picked up a rebuild kit for the old one. I cleaned it last night and rebuilt it today. It was pretty straight forward. You just replace old stuff with new stuff from the kit.

I did have a couple hang ups. The main issue I had was that the float springs were not the same and I did not notice until I had it apart. I did not know which came out of which bowl. I went ahead and assembled it and posted the question to the Chevy forum. I suspect it wont matter. One had a darker fuel line (bottom in pic) so I assume it was the secondary. I really don't know though. I put i t in the secondary bowl.


    The carb had a 7.5 power valve in it when I tore it down and the kit had a 6.5. I went ahead and installed the 6.5 since it was new. I will hang onto the other in case it needs to be changed down the road. I suspect they are not very expensive either way.

Other than that I had to think about some of the parts supplied in the kit because they have change over the years from what my carb had. For example the cardboard type washers o teh bowl bolts are now white plastic. Also a tiny gaskets for the diaphragm housing and the electric choke where just squares with a sticky backing rather than a doughnut shape. Just little things like that so no big deal.

Some notes for this paticular carb

The main metering jets are marked 65H
The Power Valve 6.5
The pump discharge nozzle is marked "31"

I did not change out any check balls and there where lots of  "O" rings in the kit I did not see a need for.

Here are some pictures of before and after for anyone who may need to see how something goes.





















All the parts soaking in Chem-Dip


The more delicate stuff in WD-40





Putting it all back....































This one will more than likely be put up for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment