Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Some Minor Loose Ends

     Today I cut the switch out that I put in to test the fuel pump to clean that wiring up.Then I tightened one of the motor mount nuts that was loose on the driver's side.

    Since installing the new carb my cold idle was at about 2500 RPMs which made the car sound like it was gonna blow up so I adjusted that down to about 1200 RPMs. For those not familiar, to access the adjustment screw on the Holley 4160 you have to give it full throttle (with the engine off). As you pull back on the throttle lever the screw will drop down from behind and under the electric choke housing. Turn it to the left (counterclockwise) to lower the RPMs. Right (clockwise) to raise. Back it off a few turns, reset the cold idle cam and start the car. If you do not have a tachometer or a tachometer built into your timing light, you will just have to adjust by sound. If it sounds like it's gonna blow up you may want to lower it LOL

    To reset the cold idle cam.. press slightly on the primary butterfly while pulling back on the throttle lever. You will usually feel it set. either way this should do it. Let the lever loose and start the car without giving it any gas or hitting the peddle. Once you hit the peddle, if the car is warm,. it will let the cold idle off.

    I set my warm idle at around 750-800 RPMs which lets the car run nicely in gear or under load.

    I figured out that my slight hesitation was due to a missing vacuum line cap. I replaced that and reset timing. I removed the vacuum advance line and adjusted timing to 11° BTDC (before top dead center) at idle. Once I had that I connected the line and checked it at 2500 RPM and it came out at about 25°. It seems to be much more responsive and may even have a little more pep. I am setting the timing using the groove in the harmonic balancer. I still need to verify TDC (top dead center) and do it all from there.  


I posted this to use somewhere else.

I am thinking about removing the pressure regulator. It is weeping gas and I can't seem to stop it. I may play with it some more first but I see it going away if the pressure allows it. I never checked direct pressure from the pump.

It also seems I have an oil leak. I wiped the area clean today and I will investigate further to see if I can locate the issue. I hope it is not the rear seal GRRRR Maybe I just did not have the filter tight enough when I changed he oil.

Other than that I took a couple trips around the block and put her away. I may venture ot to town tomorrow, weather permitting.

I think my next project will be the thermostat... I know I will want to take everything off to get at my water pump and possibly the block for paint if I am draining the water anyway, so no huge hurry to disable the car again. That would also be a good time to find top dead center and mark my harmonic balance since I will have easy access to the main pulley bolt to turn the engine by hand (via wrench). It never ends LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment